Friday, August 31, 2007

Friday Yarn Trivia and Art

It's been a long week at work and home. My house is still trashed with items I brought back from my grandmother's house last weekend. Bags and bags, Boxes and Boxes of fabric, lace and assorted sewing items. 35 porcelain dolls she and my grandfather made and lottsa roosters and chickens she collected. I'll share photo's another time.

I saw an article on Yahoo about scientists uncovering da Vinci's painting techniques and one of the paintings Maddona of the Yarnwinder. Now how cool is that? Of course I had to find a picture of this painting to show you.

Here's Leonardo da Vinci's Madonna of the Yarnwinder

from wikipedia -
The Madonna of the Yarnwinder (c. 1501) is the subject of several oil paintings after a lost original by Leonardo da Vinci. They depict the Virgin Mary with the Christ child, who looks longingly at a yarnwinder which the Virgin is using to spin some yarn. The yarnwinder serves as a symbol both of the Mary's domesticity and the Cross on which Christ was crucified and may also suggest the Fates, understood in classical mythology as spinners.


I hope to blog again some time this weekend as I do have a lot more to share.

Have a fun and safe Labor Day weekend for my friends in the US.

No comments: