Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Wednesday Yarn Review

I thought it would be fun, and helpful, to start a regular feature reviewing a yarn from our collection. As much as we love seeing yarns in hanks, skeins or balls it is hard sometimes to imagine what it will look like after it's knitted up. This is especially true for variegated yarns.
Having a swatch of the yarn knitted with the recommeded needle size and to guage if given really helps.

So begins what will be a weekly or bi-weekly feature on my blog. I will select a yarn, knit a swatch and select an appropriate pattern giving you details about the yarn, needle used, gauge and process I used to select the pattern. Then will put together a kit pairing the yarn and pattern. Hope you find this helpful.



Yarn - Habu Kasuri Silk Tweed A-164


This is a 1 ply / 5 wpi
heavy lace to light fingering weight
100% silk yarn Hand Dyed
Recommended needle size US2-4 / 2.75mm-3.5mm




So off I went to knit a swatch ...

This has a nice soft hand with a very organic, nubby look. Very lovely to knit with a cotton like feel.



Swatched
I tend to knit a little tight and usually have to go up a needle size to get gauge so for this I split the difference on recommended size and selected a US3. Very happy with the stitch definition and drape with this size and gauge.

Needles US 3 - I used Colonial Rosewood
Gauge 6.5 stitches p/inch and 9.5 rows p/inch



Pattern selected


Ostrich Plumes Stole and Scarf by Anne Hanson of Knitspot Fiber Lounge

I knew when I first saw the colors of this yarn that it called for a bird inspired pattern.
Love Anne's designs and this color just called to be an ostrich. The others could be a parrot, toucan, bluebird, dove or any other feathered friend.







Here's the closeup
The short color runs show nicely in this pattern.

The Kit
I am offering the Ostrich Plume Kit in the stole or scarf sizes with your choice of the 5 colors available.

I really enjoyed putting this together and hope to make this a weekly feature or at the least bi-weekly so keep checking back.

On Friday there will be a sneak peek of the Seasons of Habu Summer project.

and as always

Enjoy your knitting!

No comments: