Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy Vernal Equinox

Today we celebrate the Vernal Equinox (Equal Night), the first day of Spring.
The the sun is positioned above the equator, day and night are about equal in length all over the world during the equinoxes. People have recognized the vernal equinox for thousands of years. There is no shortage of rituals and traditions surrounding the coming of spring. How are you observing the Vernal Equinox?
I'm celebrating the Vernal Equinox by planning for the Summer Solstice. Yep, I'm a season ahead but it's all good. Creating the project for the next Seasons of Habu kit for Summer is so much fun and coming along very nicely. Actually, I started on St. Paddy's Day by knitting a swatch for the pattern. Then after calculations and determining the bottom edging I cast on the project and here's a preview. It will be a shell style top with a purl border at the bottom and a simple, but pretty stitch pattern going up. Here's a preview of where I am right now (1/3 up the front).

You probably noticed that I am using 2 cones of Habu yarn and I've devised a clever device for allowing me to neatly pull off the cones as I knit. It's a bread basket from Target (a few years ago), a length of bamboo or wooden dowel, washers and pretty drawer pulls. Here's a little close-up.


Close-up of the unblocked piece in progress.


Close-up of it blocked out just a little to show the pattern.




Finally, I will be putting this in the Seasons of Habu department of the shop for registrations on April 1st. Can't wait to get back to working on this tonight and then to get this done to show you the completed project for this kit.
Have a great weekend and ...
Enjoy your knitting!

No comments: