Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Lots of catching up here

Wow, it's been nearly a month since I posted! This leaves a lot to fill you in on here.

There has been a whole lot of knitting, filling the shop and of course job searching going on here.

Let's start with the knitting ...

Olympic knitting

I started the Seasons of Habu Winter 08 project during the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics.
Good thing this is a fairly easy stitch patterned project as the ceremonies were incredible!
I wanted to do this project as soon as I received the supplies so I had a clear idea of the available yardage for this project and let me tell you there will be plenty of yardage on this one. Loved this and know those registering for this seasons club kit will too. You can find out more info and when sign-ups begin on the Seasons of Habu - Winter 2008 page.


Highland knitting - After blocking the above project I felt I needed to appease the WIP gods and finish up a project already started. I picked up the Highland Triangle Shawl (Scotland) from Folk Shawls and quickly finished this one up. Ok, so I just had to finish up the inner border and knitted on edging. In 3 nights I had this one done and blocking and was able to wear it to the county fair (more on that below). I love this book and have knit 5 of the 25 and know I will be doing more. Yes, I still need to finish the Kimono shawl still. Oh, and I used 5 balls of Frog Tree Alpaca fingering weight in color 007 soft brown with size US 5 needles. This will be one of my 'everyday' shawls.
Hav u Habu? - Next up was another Habu Linen and Silk Shoulder Bag. This one is in the Charcoal color using the A-60 Linen paper yarn combined with A-1 Tsumugi Silk (beautiful combo) with a US 4 needle to create a tight fabric. The 2 colors work so well together and the linen paper gives an iridescent blue black which is amazing. This morning I went to the fabric store and found a very nice Asian inspired cotton fabric to line this one. Oh, and yes there are some of these kits in the store.


FLS KAL Anyone? Ok, I succumbed to the February Lady Sweater Knit-along going on in my local knitting group and on Ravalry. I've been wanting to make this one since I saw it on Rav and queued it up immediately. Then Barb wore hers to the Fair on Friday and I had to get on this one. I had some JoJoland fingering weight wool in my stash that was used for the beginning of a shawl that I wasn't in love with and knew it would be perfect for this. The color here is a bit off as it is more of a rich burgundy red and less Coke can red. I cast this on using US8s on Monday with the yarn doubled to get just under worsted weight and am nearly 2/3 through the yoke. This will be a great sweater for Fall... now to find the perfect antique buttons for this.





Where's Sea Tangles? This one isn't dead, don't worry. I just had to put it on hold until I got in more Stainless Steel Silk from Habu for the shop. Well I did but it seems to be going out faster than I can get it in. I still have some left and have my next order ready to go next week. Please email me if you'd like to know what I have or reserve yours from the next order.


'Our County Fair is a Great County Fair..." oh well, you know what I mean.

I entered 6 projects in different categories in the fair this year. Well, this is the first time ever that I've entered anything into the fair, city girl here. This was really fun preparing the items and then seeing how they did. Last Friday I went to the fair on the 2nd day with my mom to check the fair and demonstrate lace knitting and of course see how my babies did. Well I am proud to say all 6 won 1st place blue ribbons and 3 also won class runner up ribbons. Here are a few pictures of the entries.




Are You Wired? Just in yesterday a restock of the Blockit from TIP. I swear I can't block a sweater or shawl without this and know you will love how it makes blocking so much easier. You can find it in our Accessories department.

No comments: