Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Wednesday Yarn Review

I hope you don't mind but this will be a combination of yarn review and project wrap up and apologize if this is a little rehash from the project progress of the past month but I think you'll like it as much as I do.

Yarn - Maggi's Linen

color shown Natural - many others available





This is a different type of yarn in that it is 3 single 2 ply yarns carried together.

DK weight
52% Cotton, 48% Linen
Yardage: 126 yards (115 meters)
Unit weight: 50 grams (1.76 ounces) put up - ball
Gauge 18.0 = 4 inches
Needle size US 6 - 8 or 4 - 5mm
Care: Hand Wash & Dry Flat or Dry Clean



Above is a picture from my project (Alcala Shawl) knit on US 9 / 5.5 mm to get guage.
It is a very nice, soft yarn to knit with and I didn't find the 3 strands carried to not be a problem.
You may want to experiment with various needle material (wood/metal/plastic) and tip type (blunt/very pointy) to find what works for you. I used Colonial Rosewood which have a moderate pointy needle tip and didn't have a problem with stray strands. That said I am pretty used to carrying a couple yarns together while knitting.

Pattern selected

Maggi's Alcala Shawl from The Gathered Look
Cover project


I looked through several of Maggi's books to find a pattern that is fairly simple for the begining knitter but still has a little something to keep the more experienced knitter interested. It was also important that the project featured the linen yarn and not compete with other yarns.



So I thought the Alcala shawl was the perfect choice. I think it really shows this yarn to it's best by mixing plain knitting with texture and interesting surface detail. Now, I did something I normally don't do and used the color used in the book since I wanted the yarn to speak for this one but any of the colors would look amazing in this pattern.


I love how this turned out and know it will be a favorite through Spring and Summer.

This is a typical Maggi design that anyone can wear with confidence and a little attitude ;-)

Hope you like it too.

The Kit

Since this isn't offered as a single pattern but in a collection in the book here's what I'm doing.
10% off the book The Gathered Look and 10% off Maggi's Linen yarns.
Hope you enjoyed this installment of yarn review with The Knitting Hutch.
On Friday I'll share what project(s) are currently On The Needles.

and as always ...

Enjoy your knitting.

No comments: