Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Wednesday Yarn Review

Today's yarn and pattern are with Mother's Day in mind. Yes, there's still time to knit something nice for Mom or any mom in your life this Mother's day. This is a quick mohair lace scarf that goes up quick and she will love. May 10th is Mother's day.


Weight - Lace 1/12
Content - 60% Silk / 40% Mohair
Yardage - 186 yds. per 1/2 oz
Unit weight - 50 grams (1.76 ounces)
Put up - 1/2 oz Ball
Gauge - 7.25 = 1 inch blocked
Needle size - US 3 - 4 for lace
Care - Hand Wash & Dry Flat or Dry Clean

This silk mohair blend has more silk content than the usual mohair available. It also is a more friendly mohair to work with. I've knit with mohair that was so grabby that it was impossible to frog or even tink back a few rows. I used my Colonial Rosewood US3 to get the gauge mentioned above.

Pattern - Habu Feather and Fan Lace Scarf

I thought that this would be the perfect pattern for those not familiar with mohair since it the lace pattern is only on 1 of the 4 row repeat. I took 2 colors of this mohair to mix it up a bit. I used a web die roll program to get a random number between 2 and 12 to determine the number of repeats for each color. Then kept knitting until I got the length I wanted. It blocked out to 5.25" wide and 56" long and there was still plenty left so you could easily widen and lengthen with only 1 oz of this yarn.


The Kit
This is an easy one. Purchase 2 balls of the A-32b Silk Mohair Kusa and I'll include the pattern for the scarf (or email you the pdf). Select 2 of the same color or mix it up like I did with 2 coordinating colors. Have fun with it.



and as always ...
Enjoy your knitting!

No comments: